Seminary

DHARMARAM VIDYA KSHETRAM – Pontifical Athenaeum of Philosophy, Theology and Canon Law

Dharmaram Vidya Kshetram

Dharmaram Vidya Kshetram (DVK) is a Pontifical Athenaeum for higher learning and formation, established by the Congregation for Catholic Education, Vatican, as an independent institute, empowered to grant degrees, including Licentiate and Doctorate in Philosophy and Theology, Licentiate in Oriental Canon Law and Master’s in Formative Spirituality and Counselling.
Dharmaram Vidya Kshetram is a Registered Society under the Karnataka Societies of Registration Act 1960 (Karnataka Act No.17 of 1960) as S. No.13/84-85 of Bangalore City Corporation.

Pontifical Athenaeum: Dharmaram Vidya Kshetram

The stages of the growth of Dharmaram College very clearly reveal that attention was paid simultaneously to its material, spiritual, and academic aspects. Already in 1965 the College was affiliated to the Pontifical Gregorian University, Rome, and 11 years later in 1976, the Congregation for Catholic Education by its Decree, “Nobilissimae Indiarum Gentes,” erected in it a Faculty of Theology as an independent Institute with rights to confer the Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in Theology and the Bachelor’s degree in Philosophy. Early in 1971, the College had instituted a Centre for the Study of World Religions (CSWR) in order to implement and establish the directives of Vatican II concerning inter-religious dialogue in the context of India’s religious pluralism. In furtherance of this objective, the same Centre, in 1975, started the publication of Journal of Dharma (Dharmaram Journal of Religions and Philosophies), in order to foster and enhance researches in the fields of dialogue and ecumenism and to contribute to the formulation and development of an indigeneous Christian philosophy and theology. In recognition of the merits and the significant progress Dharmaram Pontifical Institute made in seven years, the same Congregation by its decree “Antiquissima Indorum Philosophica,” on December 8, 1983 constituted also a Faculty of Philosophy, empowering it to award postgraduate and doctoral degrees in Philosophy.
In the year 1983, Darsana Institute of Philosophy at Wardha was started as the CMI Mission Philosophate with three basic orientations: Missionary, Indian, and Rural. It works as an extension centre of Dharmaram imparting academic training leading to the degree of BPh. In the Statutes approved by the Congregation for the Catholic Education on November 7, 1986 the Athenaeum was re-christened as Dharmaram Vidya Kshetram (DVK) meaning the Temple of Wisdom in the Garden of Dharma. Samanvaya Theological College was started in 1994 as an extension centre of Dharmaram Vidya Kshetram, offering courses leading to the BTh degree. Samanvaya (literally meaning ‘Integration’) envisions a theological training programme focusing on the Church’s evangelizing mission in the northern parts of India. The signs of the times challenge us to delineate a new vision and approach in the formation of today’s missionaries. Four philosophical and theological institutes are affiliated to DVK.

Mission

A living temple of wisdom and the dharma of Jesus Christ for the well-being of all and the glory of God.

Vission

Holistic formation in the radical discipleship of Jesus Christ ,the Satguru ,for Christian leadership.Promotion of rigorous academic research in philosophical, theological and allied disciplines.Harmonious synthesis of the Western, the Eastern and the Indian genius.

Institute of Oriental Canon Law

In the context of the ever-increasing importance of specialization and research in Oriental Canon Law and taking into account the facilities of DVK in creatively contributing to the overall progress of the Church in India, especially the Oriental Churches, a new Institute was erected at Dharmaram Vidya Kshetram by the Congregation for Catholic Education on March 29, 1999. This Institute is aggregated to the Pontifical Oriental Institute (PIO), Rome, and is named Institute of Oriental Canon Law. This institute was inaugurated on July 14, 1999 by Major Archbishop Mar Varkey Cardinal Vithayathil CSsR, the Chancellor of DVK.

The New Campus

Growing as a premier institution of theological and philosophical education, DVK gradually developed a separate and independent campus for itself, exhibiting its grandeur and intellectual ambience. Thanks to the generous help of our well-wishers and benefactors such as MISSIO, the Archdiocese of Cologne, and others, the Administrative Block, Theology Block, Philosophy Block, Postgraduate Hostel, Adhyayana Hostel, and a well-equipped Central Library were constructed in due course.

Contact with other Centres of Learning

Dharmaram Vidya Kshetram maintains close relationships with St. Peter’s Pontifical Institute, Bangalore, and organises mutually beneficial academic programmes. To foster ecumenical relations and co-operation in theological and related studies DVK has entered into a contract with the United Theological College (UTC), Bangalore. It has also very cooperative academic relations with the Ecumenical Christian Centre (ECC), Whitefield, Bangalore. DVK is a member of the International Federation of Catholic Universities (IFCU) and of the Conference of Catholic Theological Institutions (COCTI).
A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) has been signed between Dean, Hoger Instituut voor Wijsbegeerte (HIW), K.U. Leuven, Belgium, and Dean, Faculty of Philosophy, Dharmaram Vidya Kshetram, Bangalore, India, on May 23, 2007. This MoU envisages legitimate exchange of staff and students between the consenting faculties, based on the mutual recognition of the degrees.

Historical Beginning

Dharmaram is the realization of the dreams of many visionaries. From its very inception, giving leadership in intellectual, spiritual, and contextual formation to the priestly and religious candidates has been one of the perceptible charisms of the CMI congregation. The founding Fathers of the Congregation, namely, Thomas Palackal, Thomas Porookara, and Blessed Kuriakose Elias Chavara were seminary professors and rectors. Once the religious house at Mannanam was established (1831), a seminary was started, in 1833, attached to the monastery, to impart priestly education both to the religious and diocesan candidates. In the course of time, there were other seminaries attached to other monasteries like Elthuruth, Mutholy, Koonammavu, and Chethipuzha. The aim was to improve the quality of the priests through systematic formation, efficient teaching, and effective spiritual guidance. According to Blessed Chavara, “An uneducated priest is not only inefficient to do anything in his pastoral work, but might even be detrimental to the salvation of souls” (Athmanuthapam, page 1). These Seminaries inaugurated a new era in theological education and priestly formation of St. Thomas Christians.
The Mannanam Seminary continued to exist and served the Church till 1894, and later it was re-founded in 1918 at Chethipuzha. Listening to the universal call of the Church and understanding the need of the times, Very Rev. Fr. Maurus Valiyaparampil CMI, the then Prior General and Rev. Fr. Jonas Thaliath CMI, who later became the first bishop of Rajkot, took leadership to transplant the Sacred Heart Seminary at Chethipuzha to Bangalore. It was the patronage and personal care of late Eugene Cardinal Tisserant, the then Prefect of the Congregation for Oriental Churches, that contributed the most for this providential transfer. It was a response from the part of the CMI congregation to the divine benediction of institutional growth and to the equally divine call to assume wider apostolic responsibilities.
To deepen the roots of the Indian cultural, spiritual, and philosophical heritage the visionaries re-named the seminary as Dharmaram College. Composed of two Sanskrit words, Dharma (righteousness, duty, virtue) and Arama (garden), “Dharmaram” signifies the Sacred Heart of Jesus, the Sanatana Sadguru (Eternal Master) of this Gurukulam (House of the Master). The foundation stone of Dharmaram College was blessed by Eugene Cardinal Tisserant, on 8th December 1953 and was laid by Archbishop Thomas Pothacamury of Bangalore. Dharmaram College was formally inaugurated on 23rd July 1957 by the Papal Nuncio, Archbishop Knox. Dharmaram, true to her name, was from its inception giving special attention to Indian orientation in the academic, spiritual, liturgical, and cultural endeavours and promoted inculturation, dialogue, and ecumenism in the Church and in the country.

Dharmaram Publications

  1.Journal of Dharma:
The Dharmaram Quarterly Journal of Religions and Philosophies was founded in 1975. This is an earnest attempt on the part of DVK to bring together scholars from all over the world and from across diverse cultures and traditions to seriously deliberate upon issues pertaining to religions and philosophies. Apart from serving as a forum for the exchange of ideas and experiences regarding approaches and methods towards religious and philosophical quests of humanity, this quarterly journal encourages research in inter-religious studies and dialogue. For details, log on to www.dharma.dvk.in.

 Chief Editor: Dr. Jose Nandhikkara, CMI
Email: nandhikkara@dvk.in

2. Asian Horizons:
Dharmaram Journal of Theology: Asia, with its wider horizon, has a noble vision to offer to the world towards its integral growth and interdependent development in the third millennium. The world is looking to Asia for enlightenment and harmony of life. Asian Horizons is a forum for genuine investigation of and reflection on the Jesudharma in the Asian context marked by economic poverty, cultural diversity, and religious plurality, in order to discern the way towards the glory of God and to the flourishing of humanity on earth.

 Chief Editor: Dr. Shaji Kochuthara, CMI
Email: asianhorizons@dvk.in

3.Vinayasadhana:
Journal of Psycho-Spiritual Formation: Journal of Psycho-Spiritual Spiritual Formation is the most recent among the Dharmaram Research Publications. On the basis of advancements and breakthroughs in various fields of human knowledge, periodical updating of the methods of formation employed in seminaries and religious formation is considered sine qua non. Opening new vistas this biannual publication is deemed to be an essential reader for those in the field of formation. With a dream to facilitate the emergence of mature and integrated priests and religious, Vinayasādhana opens a forum for genuine investigation of and reflection on the ‘Christ Formation’ in seminaries and other houses of formation marked by socio-cultural diversity, which in turn will facilitate the emergence of persons fully human and fully alive capable of living the kingdom values giving glory of God.
Chief Editor: Dr Kurian Perumpallikunnel, CMI
Email: kurcmi@gmail.com

Contact Us

Dharmaram Vidya Kshetram

Bangalore-560 029,
India

Tel          : 080-41116300/4116302
Fax          : 080-41116000
E-mail     :  registrar@dvk.in
Website : www.dvk.in

Click here for the Official site of Dharmaram Seminary

 

 

 

Advertisements
Advertisements
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.