Shabir Ally Destroys Qur’anic Preservation in 17 MINUTES!
Dr Shabir Ally, on June 13, 2022 was asked by his daughter Dr Safiyya Ally, how Muslims can accept the findings of the Sana’a Manuscript which has writings in its lower Palimpsest text that do not conform to the upper text, nor to the Qur’an today (i.e. the lower text has 63 verses with 70 differences from our present Qur’an)?
You can see that 17-minute interview on “Let the Qur’an Speak” here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxTpk…
Note just how many damaging admissions Dr Ally made in the description box of his video above, where he says “The Sanaa palimpsest is an erased Quranic manuscript found in 1972 that was written over with a different version of the Quran. The upper text corresponds with the Uthmanic Quran that Muslims read today. The lower text showed variations, though not to the extent that it significantly alters Muslim beliefs and practices. Dr. Shabir Ally explains that the Sanaa palimpsest cuts away at the popular idea that the Quran has been preserved dot by dot, letter by letter, the way it was revealed to the Prophet Muhammad. At the same time, it removes suspicion in academic circles that differences in the Quranic manuscripts were glossed over when Uthman the Caliph prescribed a single copy to the Muslim world. Dr. Shabir says Muslims can be confident that the Uthmanic Quran we have now was produced in the lifetime of the companions who lived and walked with the Prophet Muhammad and is grounded in scholarly scrutiny and the best representation of what they knew collectively that the Prophet had preached in their presence. Therefore we have full confidence that the Quran is the revelation of God to the Prophet Muhammad.”
In his video on the subject, Dr Ally made 6 damaging admissions in his response to this question on the Sana’a MSS:
1) The Lower layer was indeed different from the upper layer with “significant variations”, though he claimed they didn’t change any doctrine, theology, or practice. Nonetheless, this is his first public admission that there could have been another Qur’an from that of Uthman’s canonical Qur’an.
2) This Sana’a Manuscript was actually “pre-Uthmanic” and could have come from other early collections by Ubay ibn Ka’ab (who lived in Damascus, who had 116 Suras in his Qur’an), or from Ibn Masu’d’s Qur’an (from Baghdad, who had only 110 Suras in his Qur’an). Yet, since Uthman’s Qur’an had 114 Suras, Shabir is admitting yet again that there were different Qur’ans.
3) That Uthman’s Qur’an “accurately represented the preaching of Muhammad”. But how does he know, since it didn’t agree with the other codices of the companions of the prophet, and it was written 20 years after Muhammad died? Why would this one be better or worse than the other differing codices (Dr Arthur Jeffery in 1935, by looking at the differences between these codices which were noted in the Traditions, came up with 15,000 differences between them).
4) That the oft repeated claim by almost 99.9% of all Muslims today that there have been no changes to the Qur’an, that our Qur’an today is exactly the same, “Word for Word, and Letter for Letter” like that of Uthman’s Qur’an, Dr Ally believes is only said by “idiots” and is not “Academic”, because scholars know that there have been additions and accretions, and deletions. Yet, again, another admission of the fallacy of preservation!
5) That the Sana’a manuscript’s palimpsest (with the differences between the two layers) proves that there was no suppression by Uthman of the final Qur’an; yet he just admitted earlier that the companion codices were suppressed by Uthman, and had he read Bukahri’s account of the Qur’an’s creation, he would have seen that Uthman burned every codice which didn’t agree with his codex, proving that there were all kinds of suppression.
6) That Uthman’s Qur’an was produced “With scholarly scrutiny of their collective representation of what they knew Muhammad had said. Much like the Gospel writers (Peter, James and John) recollections of what Jesus said and did, so was the Qur’an written down.” What an admission!
Dr Ally is basically admitting in his conclusion that the Qur’an is not eternal, nor is it derived from ‘preserved tablets’ in heaven, nor was it ‘guarded by Allah from any changes’ (Surahs 10:15; 18:27; 15:9 & 85:21-22), but that it is nothing other than a document written by men (the companions of
the prophet) years after the fact, made up of their “recollections” of what Muhammad possibly said and what he possibly did.
In 17 minutes, Dr Shabir Ally has demoted the Qur’an from an “eternal text”, preserved by Allah himself, to nothing more than a book like any other book, written by men who wrote down what they remembered another man said or did.
With these 6 admissions, Dr Ally, in one fell swoop, has destroyed the Qur’an’s Perfect Preservation.
© Pfander Centre for Apologetics – US, 2022
(65,610) Music: “Feeling the Caribbean Sun” by Horst Hoffmann, from filmmusic-io